Come for the Programs . . .
* For the duration of the covid-19 shutdown, meetings have moved online as video conferences using Zoom and start at 10:00 AM. Visitors are welcome and may request access by sending an inquiry to [email protected]
Meetings start at 9:30 AM with coffee and socializing (suspended during shutdown). At 10:00 we sit down, maybe sing a song or two, and hear a few jokes & announcements. The invited speaker starts at around 10:15. We ask visitors to arrive by 10:00 AM.
Programs consist of stimulating talks by people such as past governors, mayors, politicians, physicians, Nobel Prize winners, judges, professors, historians, scientists, authors, economists, journalists, financial advisors, medical specialists, conservationists, etc. The subsequent Q&A is lively. Put on your business casual attire or jacket & tie (or something more casual from May to September) and attend a meeting with us. All visitors are welcome. Admission is free.
Stay for the Friends*
After the meetings, many members join together to have lunch at various local restaurants.
In addition to the weekly meetings, there are activity groups for golf, bridge, hiking, trips, computer help, tennis and more.
* Or, as one member put it recently, "Come for the Jokes, Stay for the Talks", since we start each meeting by singing a few songs and enjoying a few jokes :-)
Policy on Weather Cancellations
When New Providence Schools are closed due to weather, the Old Guard meeting is cancelled. New Providence posts closure notices at its school website https://www.npsd.k12.nj.us. We will also post a notice at our website and send an email to members, usually by 7:30 AM
For more information, contact:
On Retiring – A Stimulating Road Ahead
Where will you find a sense of purpose and satisfaction? How will you find mental stimulus and a sense of community? Click on this PDF file to consider an answer to these questions. Donations to Old Guard are welcome and greatly appreciated (although they are not tax deductible).
November Program Chair - John Tomaszewski
- Nov 2 "Ancient Man" – John Tomaszewski, Old Guard member, amateur archaeologist, retired from marketing at Dun and Bradstreet, discusses the development of Man/Woman through time from our earliest recognizable relatives through our ancient cultures. Along this path, milestones in human development are highlighted. [video]
- Nov 9 "Newark – Then and Now" – Award-winning sports journalist Jerry Izenberg will describe the Newark that was, the riot in 1967, and its aftermath. He will view them through the lens of his recently published first novel (following 13 nonfiction books), "After the Fire: Love and Hate in the Ashes of 1967". [video]
- Nov 16 "Super Bowl Memories" – Jerry Izenberg will return to share his Super Bowl memories—both well-known stories and little-known ones. He will be able to draw on the 53 Super Bowls he covered (Super Bowl I through Super Bowl LIII). [video conference – contact [email protected]]
- Nov 23 "There's a Lot More to AARP Than Meets the Eye" – Dave Mollen, Old Guard member and retired president of New Jersey AARP, will surprise you with everything AARP does for America. [video conference]
- Nov 30 "Traditional Chinese Medicine" – Saikumar Gandapodi, a board-certified practicing acupuncturist in Iselin, presents the many treatment methods in traditional Chinese medicine and Chinese herbology, including acupuncture, Ayurveda (traditional Hindu medicine), and herbal medicine. [video conference]
December Birthdays – Tony Cannone
For speaker photos, visit us on facebook
For an archive of videos of past meetings,