Come for the Programs . . .
* During the pandemic shutdown, meetings moved online with Zoom. As we move back to in-person meetings, we will continue to offer "hybrid" access by Zoom. Please request a link by sending email to [email protected]
Meetings start at 9:30 AM with coffee and socializing. At 10:00 we sit down, sing a song or two, and hear a few jokes & announcements. The day's invited speaker starts at around 10:30. Visitors are asked to arrive by 10:00 AM.
Note: For the present, in-person attendance requires two Covid vaccinations plus a booster, and face masks must be worn. Please read our full policy on Covid protocols here: www.covid-protocols.pdf
Programs consist of stimulating talks by people such as past governors, mayors, politicians, physicians, Nobel Prize winners, judges, professors, historians, scientists, authors, economists, journalists, financial advisors, medical specialists, conservationists, etc. The following Q&A is lively. Put on your business casual attire or jacket & tie (or something more casual from May to September) and attend a meeting with us. All visitors are welcome. Admission is free.
Stay for the Friends*
After the meetings, many members join together to have lunch at various local restaurants.
In addition to the weekly meetings, there are activity groups for golf, bridge, hiking, trips, computer help, tennis and more.
* Or, as one member put it recently, "Come for the Jokes, Stay for the Talks", since we start each meeting by singing a few songs and enjoying a few jokes :-)
Policy on Weather Cancellations
During very bad weather or when the NPPC is unavailable to us, our meetings simply move online with Zoom. We will post a notice at this website and send an email to members.
For more information, contact:
On Retiring – A Stimulating Road Ahead
Where will you find a sense of purpose and satisfaction? How will you find mental stimulus and a sense of community? Click on this PDF file to consider an answer to these questions. Donations to Old Guard are welcome and greatly appreciated (although they are not tax deductible).
August Program Chair – Craig Sweetra
- Aug 2 – "Literacy New Jersey" – Barbara Bagger, regional program director for Literacy NJ, will present the mission of this organization that provides ESL (English as a Second Language) and GED (High School Equivalency Diploma) courses to residents through volunteer-trained tutors. [no video]
- Aug 9 – "Who Were the Indo-Europeans?" – Dr. Joseph Pentangelo, linguist, folklorist, and adjunct assistant professor at CUNY, will discuss how the Indo-European language family was discovered, what linguistic groups are part of it, and what we know of the Indo-Europeans themselves, the theorized ancestors of many of the peoples of Eurasia today [in-person & on Zoom. For access: [email protected]]
- Aug 16 – "The Great Swamp from its Formation through Today" – Randi Emmer, vice-president of Friends of Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, will give us a brief history of the Great Swamp from its formation 220 million years ago. She will focus on the 1960s battle to defeat the Port Authority effort to build a jetport there and how the Great Swamp became the first National Wildlife Refuge.[in-person & on Zoom. For access: [email protected]]
- Aug 23 – "Traveling the Camino de Santiago" – Father Stanley Gomes, director of the Archdiocese of Newark Ministry to Retired Priests, will speak to us about his experiences in 2013 on the Camino, the celebrated Christian pilgrimage route in Europe. He traveled by foot from the French side of the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in northwestern Spain, a journey of 520 miles. Join us for an extremely interesting story. [in-person & on Zoom. For access: [email protected]]
- Aug 30 – "The Ellis Island Immigrant Experience" – Suzanne Mannion, director of public affairs for The Statue of Liberty–Ellis Island Foundation, will provide us with a look at the immigrant experience. Who were these immigrants? Why did they leave their homes for a new life in a new world? What did they experience upon arrival? [in-person & on Zoom. For access: [email protected]]
September Birthday emcee – John Tomaszewski
For speaker photos, visit us on facebook
For an archive of videos of past meetings,